- What You Will Hear: The orchestra is on full display. Every instrument has multiple moments to shine. Standard 80's synth shows up, but it isn't the focal point when you hear it. It is delightfully treated like just another instrument in the ensemble. Lots of brassy awesomeness and WOODWINDS!!
- Standout Tracks: Main Title, Target Practice, Zur, Slap, Alex's First Test, Alex Decides, Beta's Sacrifice, Good Luck Starfighter, Big Victory March, Alex Returns
- Will you be humming along? Yes. You'll enjoy the theme that originates as a fanfare and then goes through numerous variations throughout the score. There is also a playful theme that I assume is for a lovable and quirky sidekick.
- The score this makes me want to dust off: Masters of the Universe - Bill Conti (but I won't because this one is better)
- Will I come back to it? Yes. I heard about this release on Twitter for weeks. Everyone was going nuts and I was completely in the dark. Either I am too young or I'm an uneducated listener. I'm going to assume (hope) it is due to the fact that I was born in 1980. After my first listen, I am embarrassed that I hadn't heard it before. It is fantastic. Mr. Safan gives us heroes, romance, villains, comedy, and adventure. And each of those moods is accomplished with a full orchestra sound we rarely hear in adventure movies today. Actually, I'm kind of glad I didn't come across this one earlier... It was like discovering a 2015 score with an old school orchestra (because it is just that!). Did I mention that it is fantastic?
- Bonus: Awesome booklet and liner notes.